***Please note that after switching from several different hosts before settling on Blogger, the formatting of my pictures may not be as it was originally intended. I simply don't have the time to go back through years of posts in order to fix the orientation of the pictures. Sometimes a picture just shows a box of text in its place, but clicking on it will allow you to see the picture. Others, there may be no picture at all. I apologize.***

May 24, 2008

A Very Simple Card and What this Weekend's About....

First, I feel compelled to share a PERSONAL opinion here and then you'll get to see a card. I've noticed out there in blog-land that a lot of companies are having sales that people are on the DT's for, and people are talking about how great this weekend is for shopping, and how much shopping they're going to be doing. That is FINE. I just want you to remember the thousands of LIVES that this weekend represents. Here is a REALLY great site to check out on some background on the holiday that even I didn't know about. Click here to go to the site.

Not only does this weekend represent lives sacrificed in service to our country, from police and firemen and women, to the men and women of our armed forces, but it also is a time that we should pay respect to the family members that they have left behind. There are thousands of children that have been left behind by a mother or a father in this current war that we're taking part in. Whether you agree with the cause or not, isn't an issue. It's not an issue for the military men and women either, who are simply DOING THEIR JOBS as they are ordered to, without question. Did you know that if you don't follow a lawful order in the military you can get court martialed for it? So, if a military member doesn't agree with something, it's really not an issue. They are going and dying for our country whether they agree with why or not.

So, whether we agree with the past or present conflicts or not, can we please at least take a moment to reverently think about and offer thanks to the men and women who this weekend is truly about - and offer a little prayer for their families who will never see them again? Please check out the link I listed above if you haven't already. It's a really good one.

If you've done this, then NOW you can go do your shopping! ;)

I hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend and that you get to enjoy this special holiday (it is one!) with your friends, family, and those you love.

Here is a very simple card I made using my new Fresh Cuts stamp set and the inchies I got from Ellen's store (check out Ellen Hutson's store over in the right-hand sidebar). I love my inchies!!!



Stamps: Fresh Cuts (2008 Fall-Winter IB&C preview stamp set)
Paper: Soft Sky CS
Ink: Soft Sky
Accessories: Water Dew Drops, inchies (1" square matboard pieces GREAT for stamping on)

1 comment:

  1. I have to say that you are so right on about paying tribute to our men and women in the service. Who cares what the reasons are for this war, the bottom line is that young men and women are over there dying so that we are free here at home to complain about it. My father is a Ret. Lt Col, USAF and every Memorial Day and every Veteran's Day I bring my daughter to pass out cupcakes to the folks recovering at our local VA hospital in Palo Alto. I want her to know that there is honor in doing the right thing, that people who don't know her will lay down thier lives to ensure her freedom and we need to thnk and be grateful for that. Freedom is not free and I want her to associate that ides with a name and a face. Far too often we forget that. So to you and your family ... Happy Memorial Day!!!!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I appreciate it and thank you for adding a little sunshine to my day.

Marie :)