***Please note that after switching from several different hosts before settling on Blogger, the formatting of my pictures may not be as it was originally intended. I simply don't have the time to go back through years of posts in order to fix the orientation of the pictures. Sometimes a picture just shows a box of text in its place, but clicking on it will allow you to see the picture. Others, there may be no picture at all. I apologize.***

February 13, 2007

"The Bug"


Do I, or don't I? This "bug" sure does appear to be very contagious!!! I am sure that most of you reading this blog have heard of the now infamous Cuttlebug (a.k.a. CB, "the bug", etc.) diecut/embossing machine. I have resisted the temptation thus far to add it (or a machine compatible with it's dies/embossing folders which I LOVE) to my stock of stuff I use in my paper-crafting. I say this because it's not something I can demonstrate (well, I can, but it detracts from SU!'s embossing items and even Background Stamps, etc) in a SU! workshop/event, and I probably wouldn't put it in cards/projects I show for samples at workshops or other SU! events either. I think it's so cool though, and I just love all of the samples I'm seeing by other stampers on their blogs and on SplitcoastStampers!!!! For those of you that don't know what it is, the picture above of the green machine is the CB. The tiny one below is the Big Shot (sorry for the size!). After reading Julie Ebersole's comparison of the CB and the Big Shot, I'm leaning towards the Big Shot - if I get one at all. As Julie points out in this FAQ list about the Big Shot, it can use Cuttlebug, Sizzlet, Sizzix and of course, Big Shot dies. It can also use Cuttlebug embossing folders which are what I'm drooling over right now, and Big Shot Emboss and Cut folders as well. At JoAnn's the CB retails for $89.99 without any coupons or discounts, and the Big Shot beginners kit retails for $119.99 without any coupons or discounts. I'm sure if you can find a trustworthy seller on good old eBay, you probably stand a chance of paying less there but that's a gamble because "Buy It Now" prices seem to be retail prices on these diecutting machines. So - should I give in and buy one? I'm definitely leaning towards the Big Shot after reading about Julie's experiences with both, but how much will I really use it? I would love to hear any and all opinions and experiences with either of these machines from you. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. I own all of them. The Sizzix, Cricut, Big Shot, and the Bug, and even the brand spanking new Silhouette from QK. The QK and the Bug totally rock.I don't think it detracts from what you can demo because MOST of our customer base owns these products as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie -Just thought I would point this out to you as something you might want to try before purchasing any of them. Personally I own the cuttlebug and LOVE it :-) However, I did read on a blog somewhere (sorry, I cant' remember where I read it), that you can use a cuttlebug embossing folder WITHOUT the actual cuttlebug. Here's how:lightly spritz your paper with waterplace it inside of the cuttlebug embossing folderroll over it with a - oh geesh, now I forgot the name of it - rolling pin?? The thing you use to roll out pie dough with!! - make sure you use enough pressure to get a good impression.Wa-La - from what I hear - you get the same result as using the cuttlebug.I haven't tried it myself, but I heard it works great.Hope this helps.Tami

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Sizzix, Sidekick & Big Shot. I love the Big Shot....it works with all the dies & very easy to use & not as heavy as the Sizzix which I'm considering seeing if I can donate it to a school or some other non-profit. Once you use one you will never look back.....come on over to the dark side. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I am glad I stumbled upon your blog. I googled cuttlebug to learn more about how they worked and got alot of info from your blog. So thank you. I think I will be adding thing little contraption to my collection of stamp gear!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I appreciate it and thank you for adding a little sunshine to my day.

Marie :)