***Please note that after switching from several different hosts before settling on Blogger, the formatting of my pictures may not be as it was originally intended. I simply don't have the time to go back through years of posts in order to fix the orientation of the pictures. Sometimes a picture just shows a box of text in its place, but clicking on it will allow you to see the picture. Others, there may be no picture at all. I apologize.***

January 3, 2007

Color Challenge 95

Hi there! I decided to play in SCS's Color Challenge for this week. It's #95 and the colors are Cool Caribbean, Basic Black and Whisper White. I LOVE this color combo. My little penguin card that I sent in to SU! for a contest (the one that didn't get showcased like my other card) was these colors, and they really pop! I have that card on here in a previous post. Anyway, I made two cards for this challenge. One is a shaker card, and the other is one that was inspired by the Idea Book and Catalog. You can find the IB&C card on pg 57. That card is what made me buy the Much Love stamp set. I really like it. For those of you interested in being inspired by color challenges (I love them, I have a hard time coming up with neat color combos!), here is the link to this week's challenge, and you can find all previous challenges on SCS too. Click here to go to CC95.


Here is the first card I made, inspired by page 57 of the IB&C. I'm not sure about the ribbon, but I think it's still a cute card. I used my scalloped Fiskars scissors to cut the little scallops on the basic black that is mounted behind the whisper white piece. Unfortunately, I didn't have any black brads, so I made some. It's fairly simple. You take a pair of tweezers like those found in SU!'s tool kit, and you hold a brad in the heat from your embossing tool. After about 6 seconds or so, you gently dip it into your embossing powder and then re-heat with your embossing tool to melt the black e.p. I do this about 3 times, total, sometimes four, for good coverage. I keep all of my e.p. in a Rubbermaid sandwich container, and it makes for really easy embossing and less mess. It works especially well when creating your own brads. Just be careful not to aim your heat tool at your e.p. in the container!!! :) The card does have the Canvas BG stamp on the cool caribbean portion along with some sponging along the edges. I hope you like it!

This next card is cute, but not as functional as it could be. My double-sided foam was a little too thin for the beads I used, so they don't move very well. That's why they're "stuck" on the top portion of the image. No amount of "flicking" could move them all down. I used my Marvy Uchida Giga scalloped circle punch to punch out the scalloped circle in basic black. I then used my Colluzzle to cut out the circle for the window sheet, the piece of whisper white that the cake is stamped on, and the hole in the black scalloped piece. I used my piercing tool to poke all of the holes around the scallops and then used my SU! white Signo gel pen (I LOVE THIS PEN!!!!) to trace the outline of the holes. I used my Dotted BG stamp for the circles on the card, and the Eat Cake stamp set for the other images. For those of you that don't know how to make a shaker card (you missed a great class I just taught a couple of weeks ago!) here are some instructions from SCS - click here. Everyone loves to get them, and they're fun to make.


Well, I hope you got something out of today's post and that you liked my cards. Let me know what you think! Take care.

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Marie!I love both cards, but especially the birthday one.Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cards. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shaker card...great BG-I have yet to do this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I appreciate it and thank you for adding a little sunshine to my day.

Marie :)