***Please note that after switching from several different hosts before settling on Blogger, the formatting of my pictures may not be as it was originally intended. I simply don't have the time to go back through years of posts in order to fix the orientation of the pictures. Sometimes a picture just shows a box of text in its place, but clicking on it will allow you to see the picture. Others, there may be no picture at all. I apologize.***

September 11, 2009

Never Forget....

I will never forget where I was on 9/11/01. I am sure you are the same.

I was an Active Duty Officer in the US Air Force, and my life and the life of my husband who is a pilot in the US Air Force were forever changed. In no way, though, were they changed nearly as much as those who lost loved ones in this horrific attack on America.

Nearly 3,000 people died when the four planes crashed in New York, at the Pentagon and in a Pennsylvania field.

I hope we can all take time today to pause and reflect on this tragedy in American history, and that we can all renew our efforts at volunteerism - the likes of which so proudly shone in the actions of the heroes associated with the aftermath of the different plane crashes. If we are citizens of, or live in the United States, I also hope that our patriotism can always be as strong as it was in the days and weeks following this tragic event.

firemenflag_t1c

3 comments:

  1. I was at work on Altus Air Force Base, Oklahoma, in the Family Support Center. We had a television in our counseling room and after someone called about the first plane hitting the tower, all the staff gathered to watch. I saw clearly the second plane aiming for the other tower and could not really believe it when it hit. Then the phones started to ring, commanders started calling, base personnel called, spouses were calling, and we all hopped into action, ready to help if we were needed. I will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it odd that this isn't how it works, but every year it seems like time should stand still, and everything should seem to move in slow motion just like it did that morning. I don't really like listening to news radio, but for some reason that morning it was on while I was driving down the freeway to work and heard the announcers and their exclamations over what they were seeing.
    It still seems like it was just last year... some things take a long, long time to fade.
    ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sad sad day in our nation's history. I am glad you mentioned the acts of heroism and patriotism in your post because those things for me are what make the memory bearable. I still feel so sad for all the lives that were lost that day but I also feel grateful and blessed to live in this wonderful country with so many good people who united, buoyed one another up, prayed for each other and mourned together.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I appreciate it and thank you for adding a little sunshine to my day.

Marie :)