***Please note that after switching from several different hosts before settling on Blogger, the formatting of my pictures may not be as it was originally intended. I simply don't have the time to go back through years of posts in order to fix the orientation of the pictures. Sometimes a picture just shows a box of text in its place, but clicking on it will allow you to see the picture. Others, there may be no picture at all. I apologize.***

October 3, 2008

Paper Beads

I had the pleasure over at Go. Be Creative. to feature a tutorial and project for the month of October. I decided to create some jewelry using my scrapbook kit for the month.  I thought I would share it here on my blog too - hope you like it!!  I would LOVE to see what you create if you use the tutorial!!!


Scrapbook Paper Beads

Image


Supplies:
- Scrapbook papers of choice
- ModPodge
- Paint Brush
- Cylindrical object to wind paper around – I used a plastic q-tip
- Ribbon or other thread to string beads on (any additional jewelry-making hardware you might want)
- Needle (for threading beads)


1. Cut the papers you have chosen into triangular strips (photo 1a) that you can choose to “blunt” the end of as shown (photo 1b) to make beads of different shapes. The triangular strips tend to make rounder beads while the “blunt” end triangular strips make more oblong beads. Play around with the strip shapes to discover what kinds of beads you can make!

1a
Image

1b
Image


2. Begin winding your strips of paper starting at the widest end first on some kind of cylindrical plastic object that will leave your bead with a large enough hole to pass a needle through with whatever ribbon/cord/thread you desire to use. I used a plastic q-tip because a regular white “cardboard” q-tip would stick to the bead and ModPodge you will need to use in a few steps. A paint brush or some other object like that will work too – you just want the cylinder to be of uniform width so that you paper doesn’t wind irregularly or you end up with different sized holes on each end of the bead.

Image


3. Apply a very small amount of glue to the end of your strip to adhere it to the bead and keep it from un-winding.

Image

Image

4. Using a paint brush, apply ModPodge to the bead while still on the tool you used to wind it on. I used Matte ModPodge but I think that the glossy ModPodge would make some beautiful beads that would almost appear as if they were madee out of ceramic or glass. Make sure to get in the grooves of where the paper spiraled on either side.

Image

Image




5. Remove bead from the cylindrical object you wound it on and place it somewhere to dry. I simply placed mine on top of my scratch paper that I was working on on my table. My beads were not very sticky from ModPodge because I kept my ModPodge very thin. Be careful of what you set them on because they could stick. If you used heavy coats of ModPodge then you will want to stick them on a surface that is non-porous and will also perhaps want to move them before they are totally dry to make sure that they’re not sticking to what you placed them on.

Image

6. After allowing the beads to dry, you can then string them to complete your bracelet.



Image

Image

8 comments:

  1. Marti HollingsworthOct 3, 2008, 6:48:00 AM

    Beautiful Marie!! I love your bracelet. Too funny, I just made paper beads for some of my embellishments on a mini scrapbook that I made. I painted over them with sparkling H20's. I was thinking last night of how to decorate my card for the holiday mini swap with paper beads. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Marti

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of using the beads for a bracelet! I tried some of these years ago, but they wouldn't stay together - I was just using the glue on the ends, no ModPodge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it! I really love it! Beautiful Marie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a fresh jar of mod podge just waiting for a project!!! After WCM Day tomorrow maybe I will get to play!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot all about the paper beads!!!! Thanks for bringing them back :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - fabulous - I've not seen paper beads before

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That is really pretty! I'll have to try it AFTER I get all my Halloween stuff done! TFS!
    Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is about one of the coolest things to do with paper, I want to try it out! thanks for showing us :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I appreciate it and thank you for adding a little sunshine to my day.

Marie :)